13 de jul. de 2011

Warm Brazilian embrace

I am new to this blog. In fact, this is my first post, so I will start with myself.
My name is Maris. I am 26 years old. My real home is way up north - Estonia! I would describe myself as a very curious person, mainly about people and nature. I guess what I am doing in Porto Alegre is exploring the gaucho (that is how people are called in the state of Rio Grande do Sul) in me and learning about a society, human behavior, and the world in general. In everyday life I work on a big international educational project that works with public schools here in Porto Alegre and in many other places in Latin America. It’s my 4th time in Brazil, 3rd time to live in Porto Alegre. Except, this time I might stay for a while.

Enough about me, I will continue with my very first impression I had when I first landed in Brazil in the beginning of 2009 (and which hasn’t changed ever since).

One thing that amazes me about Brazilians is the warm welcome I receive from anyone I meet or anywhere I go. Porto Alegre is no exception. Gauchos are not used to tourists but, seems, they welcome every newcomer with the most admirable curiosity, respect and warmth.

I have not traveled a lot (a bit less than 20 countries) but I have to admit, here is where I feel the most welcome. Ironically, I include my own culture in the comparison. It feels good here, really warm!

It’s very common that people I’ve just met invite me to their home to meet their family. They prepare the most delicious dinner – a table loaded with an endless number of traditional dishes – and very excitedly wait until I’ve tried and approved each one of them. It’s an easy task because the food here is truly great! They continue with telling me about their football team and Sunday barbeque (a topic so special, I will write a whole post about it) and convincing me to join both of them.

Gauchos are always curious about how I ended up here and what my home country is like. They very genuinely listen to everything I tell them and even search for more information later. By the end of the night I feel like I’ve known those people all my life. They’ve already become a part of me - my family. We kiss several times and hug for minutes before I leave (everyone in the family joins in this event – kids, mother, father, grandparents, sometimes neighbors...). Then I go home, on my way thinking about how my heart is filled by the warm Brazilian embrace.

2 comentários:

Rodrigo disse...

Nice to meet you, Maris!

It's a pleasure post be side of you.

See You!

Betel disse...

your heart is from Latin America!